Decriminalised Futures has a lot of activities happening in the year ahead! We’re excited about everything we are doing but we need volunteers to help with some smaller tasks to make sure it can all happen.
The main projects and events we have coming up are:
- An exhibition at the ICA in February 2022.
- A chapbook based on the content of the exhibition.
- Writing Our Futures: A series of storytelling workshops for sex workers.
- Lady of the Night School: A public education series on histories of sex worker movements.
At the moment we are looking for volunteers who have an interest in contributing to these different parts of the project. We need people who have a couple of hours a week (or a month) to commit to being involved and who feel confident they can follow through. Most of the work is helping make sure different tasks get done, but some of it involves more organising, coordinating or planning. What you do is completely up to you based on what your skills and interests are.
Tasks includes things like:
- Downloading and editing video transcripts to be made available on the website.
- Listening to short edited & mixed recordings to make sure they are ready to go for the exhibition.
- Reviewing drafts of the chapbook associated with the exhibition to check it’s ready for print.
- Helping plan out how the chapbook and work associated with the exhibition can be hosted on the website.
- Working on our Lady of the Night School series: contacting potential facilitators about teaching different sessions, setting up registration and translation, facilitating discussion sessions, planning out film screenings.
- Preparing for the third phase of the project, framed mostly around commissioning and supporting performance work.
- Contributing to writing funding applications.
- Helping manage social media by suggesting content or writing short threads.
To be clear: you don’t have to do all of these things! These are just some examples of ways to participate and what kind of things we need volunteers to be doing.
If you’re interested in volunteering send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with a short paragraph about why you’re interested and what you’d be most interested in doing. If you have a background in sex work please feel free to mention this and know it will be kept confidential.